Session Chair Guidelines
Before the Session
- Abstracts and full papers for your session are available on the conference website and contain the information to introduce the speakers with their affiliation.
A printed copy will also be available for you in the session room at the conference.
- Please go to your session room 10 minutes prior to the start time to meet the presenters and familiarise yourself with the room
- Introduce yourself to the presenters and the AV technician allocated to your room
- There will be a chair table set up in the room with time cards (5 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute), a bell for signalling the end of each presentation and a microphone
- Advise the presenters that you will be signalling the time and ringing the bell when they have to stop
- Presenters will upload their presentation to the cloud or with the speakers prep technician prior to the session
- The technician in your room will assist the presenters and trouble shoot technical issues if they arise
(If a presenters arrives with a USB to load slides direct them to the AV technician)
- You will be advised of any housekeeping items or program updates by the registration staff or committee. Please announce these at the beginning of the session
- There will be a Q&A microphone available. Ask a member of the audience to be a microphone ‘runner’, if required.
During the Session
- Begin the session on time and ask that all electronic devices are to be turned to silent
- Please use your phone to keep to time – (Your phone is more accurate than having individual clocks)
- Introduce each presentation with the title, the presenter and the presenter’s affiliations
(Presenters will be asked to sit in the front row of the theatre so they can move to the lectern quickly at the end of the previous presentation)
- Ensure each session starts and finishes on time
- At the end of each presentation be prepared to ask a question if time allows and no questions are forthcoming from the audience
- Do not ask any questions if the presenter has used all their allocated time
- At the conclusion of the session thank the presenters
- Use any remaining time for questions and discussion